cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get Started Discussions
Start your journey with Databricks by joining discussions on getting started guides, tutorials, and introductory topics. Connect with beginners and experts alike to kickstart your Databricks experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Row Column access control Demo Unity Catalog

EmmaP
New Contributor II

I have this error when I execute the Table ACL & Row and Column Level Security With Unity Catalog demo :

Error in SQL statement: UnityCatalogServiceException: [RequestId=9644499b-3555-43d0-a2e7-0fdc29ea85ce ErrorClass=NOT_IMPLEMENTED.NOT_IMPLEMENTED] The UpdateTable row and column access policy operation is not currently implemented.

I am using a shared cluster with the databricks runtime version 13.3

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @EmmaPThe error you are experiencing, "UnityCatalogServiceException: [RequestId=9644499b-3555-43d0-a2e7-0fdc29ea85ce ErrorClass=NOT_IMPLEMENTED.NOT_IMPLEMENTED] The UpdateTable row and column access policy operation is not currently implemented", suggests that the functionality to update row and column access policy is not currently implemented in the Unity Catalog. The given information mentions that more elaborate Attribute Based Access Control (ABAC) controls will be introduced in the next few quarters. Until then, the customer will continue to create a dynamic view for implementing column-level security. Therefore, you cannot directly implement column-level security on tables with Unity Catalog without creating an intermediate idea.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @EmmaPThe error you are experiencing, "UnityCatalogServiceException: [RequestId=9644499b-3555-43d0-a2e7-0fdc29ea85ce ErrorClass=NOT_IMPLEMENTED.NOT_IMPLEMENTED] The UpdateTable row and column access policy operation is not currently implemented", suggests that the functionality to update row and column access policy is not currently implemented in the Unity Catalog. The given information mentions that more elaborate Attribute Based Access Control (ABAC) controls will be introduced in the next few quarters. Until then, the customer will continue to create a dynamic view for implementing column-level security. Therefore, you cannot directly implement column-level security on tables with Unity Catalog without creating an intermediate idea.

EmmaP
New Contributor II

Thank you for your reply! I thought this feature was supposed to be available last month.

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!