cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Warehousing & Analytics
Engage in discussions on data warehousing, analytics, and BI solutions within the Databricks Community. Share insights, tips, and best practices for leveraging data for informed decision-making.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sparklyr error in spark_apply: Error: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError

omjohn
New Contributor

When trying incorporate an R package into my Spark workflow using the spark_apply() funciton in Sparklyr, I get the error:

Error: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.encoders.RowEncoder$.apply(Lorg/apache/spark/sql/types/StructType;)Lorg/apache/spark/sql/catalyst/encoders/ExpressionEncoder;

I simplied to an easy test case and still happens with a simple chunk that should run fine:

data %>%
  sparklyr::spark_apply(
    function(data) {data * 10})

My connection is:
sc <- sparklyr::spark_connect(method = "databricks")

Internet seems to suggest this happens due to conflicts between a package and the curerrent version of Spark, though I haven't seen discussions particuarly applied to sparklyr. I'm running version 1.8.1 of sparklyr, tried loading  from both CRAN and github. Using Databricks Runtime 14.3.x-photon-scala2.12. Other info:

R version 4.3.1 (2023-06-16)
Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit) Running under:
Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS

I'm a data scientist, not an engineer, so any advice would be helpful on how to get this running. Thanks.

1 REPLY 1

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @omjohn, To resolve this, first check the compatibility matrix on the [sparklyr GitHub page](https://github.com/sparklyr/sparklyr#compatibility) to ensure your `sparklyr` version matches the Spark version. Update `sparklyr` to the latest version from CRAN or GitHub, specify the Spark version explicitly when connecting, and ensure there are no conflicting packages by running in a clean R session. If needed, try a different Databricks runtime or set custom Spark configurations. 

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group