Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delta adds a new partition making the old partition unreadable

User16826994223
Honored Contributor III

In Notebook, My code read and write the data to delta , My delta is partitioned by calendar_date. After the initial load i am able to read the delta file and look the data just fine.But after the second load for data for 6 month , the previous partitons are not loading normally using delta format.Reading my source delta file like this throws me error saying file dosen't exist.

spark.read.format("delta").load("/mnt/kgaurav/table /calendar_date=2018-10-04/")

However reading like below just works fine any idea what could be wrong

spark.conf.set("spark.databricks.delta.formatCheck.enabled", "false")

spark.read.format("parquet").load("/mnt/kgaurav/table/calendar_date=2018-

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

User16826994223
Honored Contributor III

I think you are writing the data in override mode. what happens in delta is it doesn't delete the data for certain days even it is written by overwrite mode for versioning , and you will be able to query only most recent data,

But in format parquet if you are reading you are using deleted file also that is why you are able to get the data.

v = spark.sql(f"DESCRIBE HISTORY delta.`{path}` limit 2")
version = v.take(2)[1][0]
df = spark.read.format("delta").option("versionAsOf", version).load(path)
)

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

User16826994223
Honored Contributor III

I think you are writing the data in override mode. what happens in delta is it doesn't delete the data for certain days even it is written by overwrite mode for versioning , and you will be able to query only most recent data,

But in format parquet if you are reading you are using deleted file also that is why you are able to get the data.

v = spark.sql(f"DESCRIBE HISTORY delta.`{path}` limit 2")
version = v.take(2)[1][0]
df = spark.read.format("delta").option("versionAsOf", version).load(path)
)

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.