Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there any costs or quotas associated with the Databricks managed Hive metastore?

Anonymous
Not applicable

When using the default hive metastore that is managed within the Databricks control plane are there any associated costs? I.e. if I switched to an external metastore would I expect to see any reduction in my Databricks cost (ignoring total costs).

Do I ever need to be concerned about storing too much metadata and driving up costs or hitting quota limits?

1 REPLY 1

Ryan_Chynoweth
Honored Contributor III

There are no costs associated by using the Databricks managed Hive metastore directly. Databricks pricing is on a compute consumption and not on data storage or access. The only real cost would be the compute used to access the data. I would not expect costs to decrease if you switch to an external hive metastore, but it would make sense that your total cost of ownership would increase as you would start paying to run the external store.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.