Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Spark nodes read data from storage in a sequence?

narek_margaryan
New Contributor II

I'm new to Spark and trying to understand how some of its components work.

I understand that once the data is loaded into the memory of separate nodes, they process partitions in parallel, within their own memory (RAM).

But I'm wondering whether the initial partition loads into memory are done in parallel as well? AFAIK some SSDs allow for concurrent reads, but not sure whether that applies here.

Also, what exactly is partitioning in the context of Spark? Does the original file get split into different smaller files, or each nodes reads from a certain begin_byte to end_byte?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

@Narek Margaryan​ , Normally the reading is done in parallel because the underlying file system is already distributed (if you use HDFS-based storage or something like, a data lake f.e.).

The number of partitions in the file itself also matters.

This leads me to your second question:

Partitioning in the context of spark is indeed the number of files being read/written.

There is a lot more to it, like shuffling, file format, and system parameters you can set, ...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @narek_margaryan! My name is Kaniz, and I'm the technical moderator here. Great to meet you, and thanks for your question! Let's see if your peers on the community have an answer to your question first. Or else I will get back to you soon.Thanks.

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

@Narek Margaryan​ , Normally the reading is done in parallel because the underlying file system is already distributed (if you use HDFS-based storage or something like, a data lake f.e.).

The number of partitions in the file itself also matters.

This leads me to your second question:

Partitioning in the context of spark is indeed the number of files being read/written.

There is a lot more to it, like shuffling, file format, and system parameters you can set, ...

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Narek Margaryan​, Just a friendly follow-up. Do you still need help, or does the above response help you to find the solution? Please let us know.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.