Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to merge small parquet files into a single parquet file?

irfanaziz
Contributor II

I have thousands of parquet files having same schema and each has 1 or more records. But reading with spark these files is very very slow.

I want to know if there is any solution how to merge the files before reading them with spark?

Or is there any other option in Azure Data Factory to merge these files(though the merge option exists for text files).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jose_gonzalez

Hi @nafri A​ ,

I don't think there is a solution to merge the files before readying them in Spark. Like @Werner Stinckens​ said, you will need to read all the files and saved them as Delta lake. Once all the files are written as Delta lake, then you can do optimized to compact the files.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, @nafri A​. Welcome and thank you for your question. My name is Piper and I'm a community moderator for Databricks. Let's see if the community has any solutions or ideas. If not, we'll circle back around.

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

if they are already written, you have to bite the apple and read them (with spark/databricks or ADF data flow). Then you can coalesce/repartition them and write the merged files back to the data lake.

Another option is by using delta lake, using MERGE statement (incoming data is merged in the existing).

Delta lake handles the partitioning. But still: you have to initially read all those small files first and write them to delta lake.

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

Sometimes for such a simple data transformation like merging I use indeed Data Factory but as it is written on top of Spark it will be similar.

More workers and parallel read jobs will help. For example in data factory you can use "Run in parallel" and "Set partitioning" options.

In databricks it will be faster with autoload (you can always use stream trigger once to run as batch) https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/databricks/spark/latest/structured-streaming/auto-loader-gen2

Setting schema instead of inferSchema will help to avoid double scan.

Always partitioning is a key so files will be loaded from different directories in parallel:

jose_gonzalez

Hi @nafri A​ ,

I don't think there is a solution to merge the files before readying them in Spark. Like @Werner Stinckens​ said, you will need to read all the files and saved them as Delta lake. Once all the files are written as Delta lake, then you can do optimized to compact the files.

Deepak_Bhutada
Contributor III

Hi @nafri A​ 

I second what @Jose Gonzalez​ suggested. You can first read in spark and convert it into Delta lake, after conversion, you can run OPTIMIZE command which will coalesce all the small files into a bigger sizes. Then you can just convert it back to parquet from Delta if you want. Below are the commands that will be useful:

Convert Parquet to Delta lake:

%sql
-- Convert non partitioned parquet table at path '<path-to-table>'
 CONVERT TO DELTA parquet.`<path-to-table>`

-- Convert partitioned Parquet table at path '<path-to-table>' and partitioned by integer columns named 'part' and 'part2'
CONVERT TO DELTA parquet.`<path-to-table>` PARTITIONED BY (part int, part2 int)

Optimize Delta Lake:

%sql
-- Optimize our Delta table 
OPTIMIZE delta.`/table_delta/`

Convert back to Parquet:

1. If you have performed Delta Lake operations that can change the data files (for example, delete or merge), run VACUUM with a retention of 0 hours to delete all data files that do not belong to the latest version of the table.
  2. Delete the _delta_log directory in the table directory. 

Note: This will be a one time process to compact small files into bigger files

Hi @nafri A​ ,

Did any of our response helped to solve this issue? would you be happy to mark the answer as best so that others can quickly find the solution?

mmore500
New Contributor II

Give [*joinem*](https://github.com/mmore500/joinem) a try, available via PyPi: `python3 -m pip install joinem`.

*joinem* provides a CLI for fast, flexbile concatenation of tabular data using [polars](https://pola.rs).
I/O is *lazily streamed* in order to give good performance when **working with numerous, large files**.

## Example Usage

Pass input files via stdin and output file as an argument.

ls -1 path/to/*.parquet | python3 -m joinem out.parquet

You can add the `--progress` flag to get a progress bar.

## No-install Containerized Interface

If you are working in a HPC environment, *joinem* can also be conveniently used via [singularity/apptainer](https://apptainer.org).

ls -1 *.pqt | singularity run docker://ghcr.io/mmore500/joinem out.pqt

## Further Information

*joinem* is also compatible with CSV, JSON, and feather file types.
See the project's [README](https://github.com/mmore500/joinem/) for more usage examples and a full command-line interface API listing.

*disclosure*: I am the library author of *joinem*.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.