Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When the billing time starts for the cluster?

Mariusz_Cyp
New Contributor II

Hi All,

I'm just wondering when exactly the billing time starts for the DataBricks cluster? Is starting time included? If cluster creation time takes 3 minutes and query execution only 2, will I pay for 2 or 5?

Thanks in advance!

MC

3 REPLIES 3

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

Officialy it is for compute time so DBU will be per minute since you start cluster (so 5 in your example). Additionally you will pay for at least 5 minute for instance in your cloud provider (from my experience usually it is a bit more as terminating and cleaning resources takes time). In databricks roadmap there is serverless offering so in future it will be a bit less complicated and more cost effective.

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

Correct. The moment your cloud providers starts provisioning and stops provisioning is the time interval you are billed.

So for short jobs that is a lot of overhead.

What I do is to use a pool, in which I try to schedule as many jobs as possible, like that you have a lot less startup time.

franco_patano
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Billing for databricks DBUs starts when Spark Context becomes available. Billing for the cloud provider starts when the request for compute is received and the VMs are starting up.

Franco Patano
Stragetic Data and AI Advisor
Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.