Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OPTIMIZE throws an error after doing MERGE on the table

Constantine
Contributor III

I have a table on which I do upsert i.e.

MERGE INTO table_name ...

After which I run

OPTIMIZE table_name

Which throws an error

java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: io.delta.exceptions.ConcurrentDeleteReadException: This transaction attempted to read one or more files that were deleted (for example part-00000-50e8fcea-1314-445b-a4fd-a7b61a9bf02c-c000.snappy.parquet in the root of the table) by a concurrent update. Please try the operation again.

Not sure, what's happening as I am not deleting any files. Is there a way to fix this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III
  • You can try to change isolation level:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/databricks/delta/optimizations/isolation-level

• In merge is good to specify all partitions in merge conditions.
  • It can also happen when script is running concurrently.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @John Constantine​ ! My name is Kaniz, and I'm the technical moderator here. Great to meet you, and thanks for your question! Let's see if your peers in the community have an answer to your question first. Or else I will get back to you soon. Thanks.

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III
  • You can try to change isolation level:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/databricks/delta/optimizations/isolation-level

• In merge is good to specify all partitions in merge conditions.
  • It can also happen when script is running concurrently.

Hi @John Constantine​ , Were you able to troubleshoot the error with the help of @Hubert Dudek​ 's reply?

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.