Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the best architecture for Structured Streaming and why?

Constantine
Contributor III

I am building an ETL pipeline which reads data from a Kafka topic ( data is serialized in Thrift format) and writes it to Delta Table in databricks. I want to have two layers

Bronze Layer -> which has raw Kafka data

Silver Layer -> which has deserialized data

I can think of two ways to do it

First way is to read data from Kafka, write the raw data to bronze then read data from bronze and decode it and write it to silver

Second way is to read data from Kafka, write data to bronze and simultaneously decode the data and write it to silver.

I am trying to understand the advantages & disadvantages of each solution. Solution two is much easier to implement but feels like solution one is more fault tolerant

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

@John Constantine​ , "Bronze Layer -> which has raw Kafka data"

If you use confluent.io, you can also utilize a direct sink to DataLake Storage - bronze layer.

"Silver Layer -> which has deserialized data"

Then use Delta Live Tables to process it to delta silver. (file notification mode recommended)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

@John Constantine​ , "Bronze Layer -> which has raw Kafka data"

If you use confluent.io, you can also utilize a direct sink to DataLake Storage - bronze layer.

"Silver Layer -> which has deserialized data"

Then use Delta Live Tables to process it to delta silver. (file notification mode recommended)

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @John Constantine​ , This is just a close follow-up. Did @Hubert Dudek​ 's reply resolve your query?

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.