Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cluster terminated.Reason:Unexpected launch failure

MxSasch
New Contributor II

Is there any known issues affecting the creation of clusters? I've been unable to get any clusters to start today so far!

Have received this error "Cluster terminated.Reason:Unexpected launch failure"

Help!

13 REPLIES 13

gazzyjuruj
Contributor II

IMG_2151Same I am also receiving this. Any help so far?IMG_2152

MxSasch
New Contributor II

No update yet.

I see in other threads as well some people experiencing exact same issue, since this morning.

Let's wait and see hopefully, as i've read here :-

Cluster terminated.Reason:Unexpected launch failure (databricks.com)

A month ago was a same issue a moderator said it was a technical fault and was fixed by their engineering team.

Clueless...

Atanu
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

there is some expected latency on cluster creation on CE workspaces. could you please check now ?Aplogies for the inconvenience caused.

Is that normal every month or week? how long does it last?

and sure, it works now, thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It occasionally goes down for maintenance. With it being a free service, it does get targeted by hackers as a way to mine bitcoin and the like. We've updated some of the security around it, but attacks still occur.

2 things.

Totally understandable, and Databricks no doubt imo has the best security out there compared to these other alternative services.

Whether hackers/miners use the Free service or not, CE only offers micro-clusters which we all know is not enough to do big data analysis (which in real often is more resource intensive than hashing/mining) so that itself will definitely make the hackers/miners sad and tired of not being able to get faster rate/speed to mine with, so bitcoin is out of the question itself that way, as CE doesn't offer GPU so yes that itself keeps the hackers away if you think about it, about the 'attacks' you are talking about, i think it's minimal?! because usual data operation like i said require more resource than what the micro-clusters in the CE even provide and is limited.

So about the maintenance thing, i think it's a good idea to keep the systems in-check.

Although, another question rises is does it affect Databricks in any way as of now with these 'attacks' going on (which like i said wont be for long as CE doesn't offer GPU or even high end CPU with the micro cluster to mine with..)

Because since the last 2-3 years of my time with DB i have never seen it go down, maybe only this time and there was another one last month or so which was back up in hours.. again, totally understandable for free CE users.

Question, is Databricks going to remain free or be forced to shut down CE due to this?

That way a lot of students like myself who use CE will be affected and would take the company reputation down as well i think, thoughts? @Joseph Kambourakis​ 

Thank you for clearing a lot of stuff, btw, have a nice day/night ahead.

Anonymous
Not applicable

As far as I know, it will continue to be free. I've never heard any chatter of turning it off. If you are a student, we do offer discounts and free workspaces to universities. If you are a professor or want to pass along the info to your professor, the person in charge of University Alliance is rob.reed@databricks.com . He can also give you access to course material and the like.

Thanks for the quick reply, yes I have been considering to upgrade for a long time now, previously had some issues with payment processors, but i will be this week, thanks again. and sure i do have a professor who would love to hear this ty for the mail, didn't know about this so thanks for pointing it out again..

And again, does all that attack affect Databricks so far or is it critical, or the security patches working good? Because again like i said before, micro-clusters is limited and should keep the hackers away. The rest of security falls on point!

have a great day ahead @Joseph Kambourakis​ 

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Ghazanfar Uruj​  , Just a friendly follow-up. Do you still need help, or @Joseph Kambourakis​ 's response help you to find the solution? Please let us know.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Ghazanfar Uruj​ , We haven’t heard from you on the last response from me, and I was checking back to see if you found a solution. Or else, If you have any solution, please share it with the community as it can be helpful to others. Otherwise, we will respond with more details and try to help.

Arkinno
New Contributor II

So you follow charts? Then I recommend check out the live price for dogecoin and other cryptocurrencies live here. Preparing trend lines is extremely easy and fast and could be used to make some quick predictions. However, the predictions are not adequately accurate, and other techniques offer much better capabilities.

AWe
New Contributor II

good

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.