Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SparkContext lost when running %sh script.py

madrhr
New Contributor II

I need to execute a .py file in Databricks from a notebook (with arguments which for simplicity i exclude here). For this i am using:

%sh script.py

script.py:

from pyspark import SparkContext

def main():
    sc = SparkContext.getOrCreate()
    print(sc)

if __name__ == "__main__":
    main()

However, i need SparkContext in .py file and its suggested to use SparkContext.getOrCreate() but i get the exception that i need to set a master url. 

pyspark.errors.exceptions.base.PySparkRuntimeError: [MASTER_URL_NOT_SET] A master URL must be set in your configuration.

But even if i set the master url, i get another exception. Now whats really weird is that if i run the same .py script directly in Databricks using the little play button it works. It also works if i open a web terminal of the cluster und execute my .py script in this bash shell. So using both approaches it works and i get the SparkContext. However this is obvious not very useful. In the %sh shell and in the web shell, user is root, same working directory and the python env is also not the problem.

The cluster i am using is a single node NC24ads_A100, so only a driver node and no additional worker nodes. I running DBR 14.2 ML and Spark 3.5.0.

Would be very happy to know whats so special about %sh or where my problem is or whats a workaround to execute .py files from a databricks notebooks with arguments and while staying/getting SparkContext.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

madrhr
New Contributor II

I got it eventually working with a combination of:

• from databricks.sdk.runtime import *
  • spark.sparkContext.addPyFile("/path/to/your/file")
  • sys.path.append("path/to/your")

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Yeshwanth
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@madrhr

I think this occurs because one session is initiated within the Python script (.py file), while in the Databricks notebook, we have a pre-configured Spark session. It is important to note that we cannot use more than one Spark session per notebook, and each session should be unique.

madrhr
New Contributor II

Thanks for you answer. Thats also how i understand it. But is there a way to inject or connect to the pre-configured Spark session from within the Python script (.py file)?

madrhr
New Contributor II

I got it eventually working with a combination of:

• from databricks.sdk.runtime import *
  • spark.sparkContext.addPyFile("/path/to/your/file")
  • sys.path.append("path/to/your")

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.