Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Connect a BI Tool: How do I access my lakehouse data from my BI tool?

Taha_Hussain
Valued Contributor II
Valued Contributor II

You can find a rich ecosystem of tools that allow you to work with all your data in-place and deliver real-time business insights faster.

This post will help you connect your existing tools like dbt, Fivetran, PowerBI, Tableau or SAP to ingest, transform, query and visualize the most recent and complete data from your lakehouse, without having to move it into a separate data warehouse.

Note: To learn more about creating queries and visualizations that feed into your BI tool, review this step-by-step guide.

To connect your data with a BI tool, review this documentation or follow these steps:

1. Make sure your Databricks account, workspace and the signed-in user all meet the requirements for Partner Connect

2. Go to the bottom of the sidebar and click Partner Connect

Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 11.54.56 PM 

3. Click the tile for the partner that you want to connect your workspace with. If the tile has a checkmark icon, stop here, as your workspace is already connected. Otherwise, follow the on-screen directions to finish creating the connection.

Note: Power BI Desktop, Tableau Desktop and other locally-installed applications do not display a checkmark icon, even after you connect your workspace to them

Note: For the fastest connections, we often recommend using FiveTran for data ingestion

You are now ready to discover new business insights with the most complete and freshest data.

Learn more:

โ€ข Video Series on integrating tools through Partner Connect

โ€ข Documentation on queries and visualizations

โ€ข Databricks Academy Introduction to creating queries and visualizations

โ€ข Databricks SQL demo highlighting SQL query editor, built-in data visualization tools, and flexible dashboarding and alerting capabilities

โ€ข Feel free to contact us

Drop your questions, feedback and tips below!

5 REPLIES 5

KKo
Contributor III

@Taha Hussainโ€‹ I connect to Databricks table using below approach from PBI desktop.

a) What is the benefit of your approach vs the approach I mentioned?

b) The performance of the report is very slow when I use direct query to the Databricks table, what could be the reason here? On the other hand doing the same thing from other RDMS (Azure sql, synapse db) the refresh is faster.

c) I just use data science and data engineering component of Databricks. Would the refresh of report would be faster if I use Databricks SQL?

Screen Shot 2022-12-08 at 11.26.29 PM

Ajay-Pandey
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks for sharing @Taha Hussainโ€‹ 

Rishabh264
Honored Contributor II

thanks for the documentation @Taha Hussainโ€‹ 

tunstila
Contributor II

Thanks for the documentation @Taha Hussainโ€‹ this is awesome.

Axserv
New Contributor II

Hello Taha, here is a fairly recent video provided by Databricks on conncecting Power BI :

Demo Video: Connect to Power BI Desktop from Databricks - YouTube

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.