Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to add Features descriptions for each of the features in a Feature Store table?

Yashir
New Contributor III

If not, then I believe that it will be beneficial because the feature tables contain engineered features that its a good idea to document their calc logic for the benefit of other data scientists. Also, even non-engineered features are many times not clear by their name only.

4 REPLIES 4

Wunlung
Contributor

Yes, you can do it via

1. the UI
    1. Go to the Feature Store
    2. Select the Feature Table
    3. Select individual feature
    4. You can edit the description there
    5. [OPTIONAL] You can also add the tags

I don't think there's a featurestoreClient API to update feature description, it does provide the capability to update the feature table description. Correct me if i am wrong.

API reference:

https://docs.databricks.com/dev-tools/api/python/latest/feature-store/client.html

Yashir
New Contributor III

Thanks for your detailed answer. Unfortunately i see no way of adding the "description" column to the Feature table's Features view. You would have to select each and every individual feature in order to view all descriptions. Also it would be beneficial to be able to assign a feature type (e.g. categorical, continuous, distinct, ordinal) and to have an API that fetches this info for EDA and DATA engineering processing.

They have the unoffical restAPI to update/retrieve it.

So official answer is no. They may plan to provide these functionalities in the future release.

ShaneVanHeerden
New Contributor II

Hi there

Has there perhaps been an update on this functionality? I am also attempting to programmatically update an individual feature's description and tag(s).

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.