Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Does Databricks support writing Geography/Geometry data into BigQuery?

New Contributor III

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jnb2387
New Contributor III

The only method I have been able to successfully write in geography data was to have the table schema already defined with a geography column and then 'APPEND' the data to it. Anytime I would try with OVERWRITE it seemingly changed the data type to string.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Prabakar
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi @Ayushi Pandeyโ€‹ are you looking for Geomesa library support? If so please refer this notebook.

https://www.databricks.com/notebooks/geomesa-h3-notebook.html

New Contributor III

No, I want to know if Databricks supports writing Geography/Geometry data back into BigQuery? When I try to write it to BQ, it shows as incorrect BYTES data.

I performed the below statement and it ran successfully in Databricks:

val wktDF = wktDFText.withColumn("bq_geography", st_geomFromWKT(col("bq_geography"))).cache

But when loading this wktDF to BigQuery, data is seen like this:

image.png

New Contributor III

Do let me know if this is an expected behaviour since Spark does not natively support Geography/Geometry types.

jnb2387
New Contributor III

The only method I have been able to successfully write in geography data was to have the table schema already defined with a geography column and then 'APPEND' the data to it. Anytime I would try with OVERWRITE it seemingly changed the data type to string.

New Contributor III

Thanks a lot! That worked ๐Ÿ™‚

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.