Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Practices for naming Tables and Databases in Databricks

Spauk
New Contributor II

We moved in Databricks since few months from now, and before that we were in SQL Server.

So, all our tables and databases follow the "camel case" rule.

Apparently, in Databricks the rule is "lower case with underscore".

Where can we find an official documentation that says that, to show it to our management please?

Because without this doc, they never let us change a thing.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

@Landan George​  You are right, so naming everything in lowercase and low dash is the only method that makes sense. @Salah KHALFALLAH​ maybe you can use that document https://api-docs.databricks.com/rest/latest/unity-catalog-api-specification.html as there is written :

"Names supplied by users are converted to lower-case by DBR clients (before they are sent to the UC API) . Also, input names (for all object types except Table Column Names) are converted to lower-case by the UC server, to handle the case that UC objects are created via directly accessing the UC API. With this conversion to lower-case names, the name handling is effectively case-insensitive. I.e., if a user creates a table with relative name “******”, it would conflict with an existing table named “******”."

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

I think it is up to your decision. I prefer lowercase but actually companies for which I am working are not using them in databricks.

LandanG
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @Salah KHALFALLAH​ , looking at the documentation it appears that Databricks' preferred naming convention is lowercase and underscores as you mentioned.

The reason for this is most likely because Databricks uses Hive Metastore, which is case insensitive, so querying "MyTable" is the same as "mytable" and "MYTABLE" and will be displayed as "mytable" in the data browser window, so camel case may not be that helpful when naming objects.

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

@Landan George​  You are right, so naming everything in lowercase and low dash is the only method that makes sense. @Salah KHALFALLAH​ maybe you can use that document https://api-docs.databricks.com/rest/latest/unity-catalog-api-specification.html as there is written :

"Names supplied by users are converted to lower-case by DBR clients (before they are sent to the UC API) . Also, input names (for all object types except Table Column Names) are converted to lower-case by the UC server, to handle the case that UC objects are created via directly accessing the UC API. With this conversion to lower-case names, the name handling is effectively case-insensitive. I.e., if a user creates a table with relative name “******”, it would conflict with an existing table named “******”."

LandanG
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

@Hubert Dudek​ That's a good link, thanks for adding it

Spauk
New Contributor II

Thank you very much!

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.