Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Save Spark DataFrame to shape file (.shp format)

Bartek
Contributor

Hello,

I know how to create .shp file from Geopandas dataframe using code similar to this, also mentioned on SO:

gpd_df = geopandas.GeoDataFrame(pandas_df, geometry='geom')
gpd_df .to_file("username/nh.shp")

However I have .parquet files that I can load directly to Spark DataFrame and I want to create and save shape file this way. Unfortunately I'm not sure if that's possible. I can't see .shp format in supported formats. I checked also Sedona but found only Shapefilereader not allowing to save/write. What is the state-of-the-art to operate on shape files?

1 REPLY 1

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bartosz Maciejewski​ :

Spark does not have native support for writing Shapefiles directly. However, you can use a third-party library such as GeoPandas or PyShp to write your Spark DataFrame to a Shapefile.

Here's an example of how to use GeoPandas to convert a Spark DataFrame to a GeoDataFrame and save it to a Shapefile.

import geopandas as gpd
from pyspark.sql import SparkSession
from shapely.geometry import Point

# create SparkSession
spark = SparkSession.builder.appName("SparkGeoPandas").getOrCreate()

# create sample Spark DataFrame
df = spark.createDataFrame([(1, Point(0, 0)), (2, Point(1, 1))], ["id", "geometry"])

# convert Spark DataFrame to GeoDataFrame using GeoPandas
*** = gpd.GeoDataFrame(df.toPandas(), geometry="geometry")

# save GeoDataFrame to Shapefile
***.to_file("path/to/shapefile.shp", driver="ESRI Shapefile")

You can also use another library 'PyShp' instead of GeoPandas.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.