Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Governance
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unity Catalog-Error Creating Table ErrorClass=INVALID_STATE] Failed to access cloud storage: AbfsRestOperationException

ryan321321
New Contributor III

I have managed to create my catalog and schema on unity catalog.

Added Storage Blob Contributor role to the unity catalog metastore in ADLS for the Access Connector for Azure Databricks.

image.pngimagehowever, when trying to create a table i received this error:

Error in SQL statement: UnityCatalogServiceException: [RequestId=db5e5795-bd62-4185-b97f-1d240ee5b73b ErrorClass=INVALID_STATE] Failed to access cloud storage: AbfsRestOperationException exceptionTraceId=094237f6-141c-44d7-85c7-104215baa913

9 REPLIES 9

Debayan
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi, simultaneously could you please raise a case to Microsoft Azure and ask them to engage storage team on the same (they can check the backend logs with the trace ID: AbfsRestOperationException exceptionTraceId=094237f6-141c-44d7-85c7-104215baa913).

Please let us know the update and if this helps.

ryan321321
New Contributor III

have done so, support was not able to solve it. They ask me to ask the same question on microsoft help community...

NotThatTomSmith
New Contributor II

I was getting the exact same error when trying to work with a newly created metastore in Azure Databricks.

Ended up having to follow the 'upgrade' steps located here:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/databricks/data-governance/unity-catalog/azure-managed-ident...

Basically need to run the set of cURL commands to re-create the storage credential and hook it up to the metastore. These needed to be run as the Azure account admin.

Once I did that I was able to create tables.

I had the same issue over in this thread https://community.databricks.com/s/question/0D58Y00009qrAVvSAM/unclear-validation-error-message-when... and following the upgrade guide worked for me as well. Thanks for sharing!

mahwish
New Contributor II

I am getting same error but i have created metastore using managed identity. I have provided the managed identity access connector "Storage blob data contributer" role on storage account used for metastore but still getting this issue.

alexlod
New Contributor III

Did you try @Tom Smith​'s suggestion? See above.

Mitsel
New Contributor II

I have the same issue with @mahwish chohdry​ and have tried @Tom Smith​ suggestion which didn't work for me.

mahwish
New Contributor II

My issue resolved. Here are the steps i followed:

• Please check your metastore URL it should be as:

<container name>@<storagename>.dfs.core.windows.not/directory

(i was misplaced the container name with storage and storage name with container that was causing issue. )

• Managed identity should be enabled for access connector for databricks.
  • The access connector for databricks which you are using for metastore should have "storage blob data contributer" access on storage account which you are using for metastore .
  • Storage account used for metastore, access connector and metastore should be in same region.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @adam wong​ 

Thank you for your question! To assist you better, please take a moment to review the answer and let me know if it best fits your needs.

Please help us select the best solution by clicking on "Select As Best" if it does.

Your feedback will help us ensure that we are providing the best possible service to you. Thank you!

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.