cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Azure Databricks: Cannot create volumes or tables

meystingray
New Contributor II

If I try to create a Volume, I get this error:

Failed to access cloud storage: AbfsRestOperationException exceptionTraceId=fa207c57-db1a-406e-926f-4a7ff0e4afdd

When i try to create a table, I get this error:

Error creating table
[RequestId=4b8fedcf-24b3-4ef8-9636-4bfd06ba0a70 ErrorClass=INVALID_STATE.UC_CLOUD_STORAGE_ACCESS_FAILURE] Failed to access cloud storage: AbfsRestOperationException exceptionTraceId=aa18d5df-f1ff-488b-904e-91f706613b8f

The storage container has Storage Blob Contributer Access. The Storage Account also has access.

Is it just me, or is the Azure implementation of Databricks incredibly obtuse to setup?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @meystingray

• Databricks cannot access Azure storage, causing errors when creating a volume or table.
• Storage container has Storage Blob Contributor Access, and Storage Account has access, but there may be setup issues.

• Troubleshooting steps:

- Verify that the storage principal/managed identity used has required access to the storage account.
 - If using storage principal and storage firewall, use managed identity instead.
 - If using the private link for gen2 storage with public network access disabled, enable the MI connector for access.
• If the above steps don't solve the issue, there may be a problem with setup or configuration.
• There could also be a bug in the Azure implementation of Databricks, but more information is needed to confirm.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @meystingray

• Databricks cannot access Azure storage, causing errors when creating a volume or table.
• Storage container has Storage Blob Contributor Access, and Storage Account has access, but there may be setup issues.

• Troubleshooting steps:

- Verify that the storage principal/managed identity used has required access to the storage account.
 - If using storage principal and storage firewall, use managed identity instead.
 - If using the private link for gen2 storage with public network access disabled, enable the MI connector for access.
• If the above steps don't solve the issue, there may be a problem with setup or configuration.
• There could also be a bug in the Azure implementation of Databricks, but more information is needed to confirm.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.