cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[UC_NOT_ENABLED] Unity Catalog is not enabled on this cluster

h_aloha
New Contributor III

Hi,

I got error [UC_NOT_ENABLED] Unity Catalog is not enabled on this cluster, when run in the notebook to create a catalog.

Looks like I followed all the steps to set up workspace, metastore and compute. The steps are:

1. create workspace from UI -> Quick Start (Recommanded)
  2. Update the metastore bucket policy and trust relationship, by following doc: https://docs.databricks.com/data-governance/unity-catalog/get-started.html#cloud-tenant-setup-aws
  3. Create metastore in the same region as workspace, assign it to workspace
  4. Restart compute (set up and auto start in step 1) by edit its config, make sure it's single user, single mode, and its instance profile is the IAM role to access dataset bucket that has been set up in step 1. DBR is 11.3
  5. In notebook 6.1. of data-engineer-learning-path-v1.1.1-notebooks.dbc

Run: CREATE CATALOG IF NOT EXISTS ${DA.my_new_catalog}, it returns the error

Seems It still use workspace local hive_metastore

Noticed in UI - Update workspace, there is a toggle to enable Unit Catalog, and a drop down to choose the metastore, but if I toggle it on and select the metastore from drop down, and save. It disappears if I click "Update workspace" to open the config again.

However, assign a metastore to workspace has already been done from account -> data -> metastores -> Assign to workspace.

Appreciate for any hints. Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

Ajay-Pandey
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi @Helen Morgen​ ,

Have you enabled the unity catalog on your workspace??

h_aloha
New Contributor III

Hi ajaypanday678,

I enabled it in the console, by

1. clicking "Update Workspace", toggle the "Enable Unity Catalog"
  2. Metastore drop down, choose the corresponding metastore that has assigned to this workspace
  3. Click "Update"

The wield is when I click "Update Workspace" again, it's reset to disabled. Is this a console bug?

h_aloha
New Contributor III

And I the error message: Unity Catalog is not enabled on this cluster

What does the "cluster" it refer to? the workspace cluster? or the compute cluster of this workspace?

h_aloha
New Contributor III

"I followed the steps outlined in the documentation (https://docs.databricks.com/data-governance/unity-catalog/enable-workspaces.html#enable-your-workspa...) to assign the metastore to my workspace.

I verified that the workspace appears in the Workspaces tab of the metastore, and that the metastore appears in the Configuration tab of the workspace. However, as mentioned in my previous post, the "Enable Unity Catalog" toggle in the "Update Workspace" section always resets to "not enabled" regardless of the verification steps I completed."

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Helen Morgen​ 

Hope all is well! Just wanted to check in if you were able to resolve your issue and would you be happy to share the solution or mark an answer as best? Else please let us know if you need more help. 

We'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!

h_aloha
New Contributor III

Hi Vidula,

Thanks for looking into it.

Unfortunately, it's not resolved. I checked every place that could have been missed, and everything looks okay.

I would appreciate any hints you can provide.

Thanks

h_aloha

Hi @Helen Morgen​,

Is it possible that you have enabled unity catalog after creating the cluster? You can try to create a new cluster as single user and runtime 12.x for example.

Regards,

FerArribas
Contributor

Hi @Helen Morgen​,

Is it possible that you have enabled unity catalog after creating the cluster? You can try to create a new cluster as single user and runtime 12.x for example.

Regards,

Sanjay_AMP
New Contributor II

I had faced the same problem

I recreated the cluster (after enabling Unity Catalog) and it is working now

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.