Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do i re-enable tab complete / autocomplete?

ehpogue
New Contributor II

yesterday all of my notebooks seemingly changed to have python formatting (which seems to be in this week's release), but the unintended consequence is that shift + tab (which used to show docstrings in python) now just un-indents code, and tab inserts a tab instead of autocompleting.

How do turn off this new feature / get tab completion back?

9 REPLIES 9

ashish1
New Contributor III

Thanks for reaching out, I will share the feedback with the product managers. Currently, there is no way to revert, unfortunately.

This page says that this functionality should work. It is essential to have it working.

mathew3475
New Contributor II

Hello,

would like to suggest you here

It sounds like you may have accidentally enabled "Python Mode" in Jupyter Notebook, which is a feature that provides syntax highlighting and autocomplete for Python code.

To disable Python Mode and restore the default Jupyter Notebook behavior, you can follow these steps:

1. Open Jupyter Notebook in your web browser.
  2. Click on the "Edit" menu at the top of the screen.
  3. Select "nbextensions config" from the dropdown menu.
  4. In the nbextensions configuration page, find the "Python Mode" extension and uncheck the box next to it.
  5. Click the "Save" button to apply the changes.
  6. Restart your Jupyter Notebook kernel for the changes to take effect.

After following these steps, you should be able to use the default Jupyter Notebook keyboard shortcuts and autocomplete features. hope so it will help you . Novitasphere MBI Lookup Tool

johnwood
New Contributor II

To disable the new feature and get tab completion back, follow these steps:

1. Open your notebook settings.
  2. Look for an option related to “Editor” or “Keybindings”.
  3. Change the keybinding setting from “Python Mode” or similar to “Default” or “Classic”.

This should restore tab completion and the old behavior of Shift+Tab.

Thanks for the hint!

I've actually fixed it by:

1) Upper right corner with your account

2) User Settings

3) Editor settings

4) Disable "New notebook editor"

This is working now.

ehpogue
New Contributor II

The solution I was looking for was to use ctrl + space to get the same functionality as shift + tab: shift tab and tab complete seems to work when the option appears: tab complete 

Data_33
New Contributor II

this is working now.

Data_33
New Contributor II

i also facing the same in databricks now.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.