Administration & Architecture
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a service principal to workspace fails

bas
New Contributor III

Trying to add an Azure Service Principal to a workspace fails, whether via the web UI or the databricks cli. With the databricks, the console gives this:

databricks service-principals -p ************* create --application-id ********-****-****-****-************ --display-name ****************** --debug

18:28:51  INFO start pid=17186 version=0.212.2 args="databricks, service-principals, -p, *************, create, --application-id, ********-****-****-****-************, --display-name, ******************, --debug"
18:28:52 DEBUG non-retriable error: INTERNAL_ERROR: 4 (of class java.lang.Integer) pid=17186 sdk=true
18:28:52 DEBUG POST /api/2.0/preview/scim/v2/ServicePrincipals
> {
>   "applicationId": "********-****-****-****-************",
>   "displayName": "******************"
> }
< HTTP/2.0 500 Internal Server Error
< {
<   "detail": "INTERNAL_ERROR: 4 (of class java.lang.Integer)",
<   "schemas": [
<     "urn:ietf:params:scim:api:messages:2.0:Error"
<   ],
<   "status": "500"
< } pid=17186 sdk=true
Error: INTERNAL_ERROR: 4 (of class java.lang.Integer)
18:28:52 ERROR failed execution pid=17186 exit_code=1 error="INTERNAL_ERROR: 4 (of class java.lang.Integer)"

#azure #Identity and access

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gerben
New Contributor III

I got a response from Azure Support:

"Kindly note that this issue has already been addressed by Databricks Engineering team, and the fix will be deployed by End of the day Pacific time today."

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Walter_C
Valued Contributor II
Valued Contributor II

The issue you're experiencing seems to be related to the Databricks provider's authentication configuration in Terraform. Here are some steps that you can follow to potentially resolve the issue:
1. You need to ensure that the Databricks provider is correctly configured with the necessary parameters, especially the host parameter which points to the Databricks workspace URL. Here's how you can configure it:

terraform
provider "databricks" {
 host = "https://${azurerm_databricks_workspace.databricks.workspace_url}"
}

By setting the host parameter to the URL of the Databricks workspace you've created, the provider knows where to direct API calls. Ensure that the azurerm_databricks_workspace.databricks.workspace_url correctly points to the URL of your Databricks workspace.
2. Additionally, make sure that the environment variables ARM_CLIENT_SECRETARM_CLIENT_ID, and ARM_TENANT_ID are correctly set in your Git workflow environment. These should correspond to your Service Principal's client secret, client ID, and tenant ID, respectively.

bas
New Contributor III

I'm not sure I understand the "relationship with terraform" as I tried creating the Service Principal using the Web UI and the Databricks cli. Furthermore, creating Service Principals was working fine two days ago for the very same workspace.

Thanks 

Walter_C
Valued Contributor II
Valued Contributor II

Apologize for the confusion so you are also having issues when doing it through UI?

bas
New Contributor III

Yes, I'm having the same issue through the UI. With exact error message

INTERNAL_ERROR: 4 (of class java.lang.Integer)

Gerben
New Contributor III

We are experiencing the same here.

Rania07
New Contributor II

Same here with Azure Databricks

Gerben
New Contributor III

I got a response from Azure Support:

"Kindly note that this issue has already been addressed by Databricks Engineering team, and the fix will be deployed by End of the day Pacific time today."

bas
New Contributor III

I confirm that the issue has been resolved for me. Thanks.

brickmaker
New Contributor II

Same issue in AWS Databricks.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.