cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Administration & Architecture
Explore discussions on Databricks administration, deployment strategies, and architectural best practices. Connect with administrators and architects to optimize your Databricks environment for performance, scalability, and security.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DABs vs API

jlowe
New Contributor

DABs seem like a great way to build a project based workflow.  However, I have a need to take a user's SQL and create a TABLE/VIEW based on it.  We plan to use the API to submit the request but is this the best way going forward?  Should we consider wrapping the user's SQL changes into a DAB and go through the creation this way?

1 REPLY 1

Shazaamzaa
New Contributor III

DABs use Terraform which in turn calls the API anyway. So, I guess it comes down to personal preference of deployment consistency, code maintenance etc. However, from your description of "taking a user's SQL" I'm assuming some sort of real-time application interface that takes the SQL query and builds assets. If so, I would go directly to the API instead of using DAB. If not and it is something about "productionizing" user's SQL queries in a programmatic manner, then DAB's with appropriate scheduled workflows/jobs is the way to go.

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you wonโ€™t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isnโ€™t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group