cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Administration & Architecture
Explore discussions on Databricks administration, deployment strategies, and architectural best practices. Connect with administrators and architects to optimize your Databricks environment for performance, scalability, and security.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Databricks Access Bundles - config data needed by notebook

GiggleByte
New Contributor II

I have this structure - 

Folder-1 - the root of databricks access directory. "databricks.yaml" file is in this directory

Folder-1 / Folder-2  has notebooks. One of the notebook, "test-notebook" is used for *job* configuration in databricks.yaml file.

Folder-1 / Folder-2 / configs / config.json is used by "test-notebook". When running the notebook directly in Databricks UI, I can read the contents of config.json and use json data successfully. I use the path 'configs/config.json'

However, when I deploy bundle and run the job, I get FileNotFound error. From the context of a job, the file configs / config.json is not accessible. 

What is the best way to save configuration files within an access bundle and how to ensure that the file is available to the notebook?

Thanks,

Archana 

4 REPLIES 4

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @GiggleByte, When you deploy a Databricks Asset Bundle, all of the files in the bundle are uploaded to a central storage location and made available to the Databricks workspace and jobs. To ensure that the configuration file is available to the notebook when running as part of an Asset Bundle, you need to make sure that the file is included in the bundle and that you are using the correct path to access the file.

karthik_p
Esteemed Contributor

@GiggleByte adding few more inputs to what @Kaniz_Fatma  mentioned, @GiggleByte how you are running job, using cmd/vs console/github/gitalab. your resource folder should have converted yaml of your json not json to run dab jobs from other than databricks UI if i am not wrong

karthik_p_0-1698404320318.png

GiggleByte
New Contributor II

I am running the job via "databricks bundle run" command via Azure DevOps pipeline. 

I tried using "files" section to databricks.yaml file, but when the notebook runs, it is unable to find conf/config1.json 

GiggleByte_0-1698416491049.png

@Kaniz_Fatma - config files are part of the bundle. 

@karthik_p - so, is it mandatory that all config information needed by notebooks be in yaml format? If yes, then how to notebooks access parameters? For example, if I have a config file called "custom_configs.yaml", then will the notebook be able to open the file "custom_configs.yaml"? Or, is there another way to read the config information?

Thanks,

Archana

karthik_p
Esteemed Contributor

@GiggleByte @Yes based on demo test that I have done, it is working as you said. 

JSON converted yaml config for job setting need to be placed under resources, that yaml has job config setting, it looks  similar to rest api json request converted in form of yaml. 

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!