cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Administration & Architecture
Explore discussions on Databricks administration, deployment strategies, and architectural best practices. Connect with administrators and architects to optimize your Databricks environment for performance, scalability, and security.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to fully enable row-level concurrency on Databricks 14.1

MosefJJunior3rd
Visitor

Hey guys,

I hope whoever's reading this is doing well.

We're trying to enable row-level concurrency on Databricks 14.1. However, the documentation seems a bit contradictory as to whether this is possible, and whether the whole capability of row-level concurrency is available. Doco here: https://docs.databricks.com/en/optimizations/isolation-level.html

At the top of the doco, it says,

Row-level concurrency is generally available on Databricks Runtime 14.2 and above,

and all the way at the bottom it says,

In Databricks Runtime 14.0 and 14.1, you can enable row-level concurrency for tables with deletion vectors,

but it also says,

In Databricks Runtime 14.1 and below, non-Photon compute only supports row-level concurrency for DELETE operations.

From what I've put together, this means that low-level concurrency is only available on Databricks Runtime 14.1 only when Photon is enabled, and when deletion-vectors are enabled on the particular table, and row-level concurrency must be explicitly enabled in the cluster configuration. These three conditions must be met simultaneously to enable and unlock the capabilities of row-level concurrency.

Can I just get some confirmation from someone who's managed to do this before? Much appreciated, thank you.

Regards,

Mo

0 REPLIES 0

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group