cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Administration & Architecture
Explore discussions on Databricks administration, deployment strategies, and architectural best practices. Connect with administrators and architects to optimize your Databricks environment for performance, scalability, and security.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open Delta Sharing and Deletion Vectors

DrK
New Contributor III

Hi,

Just experimenting with open delta sharing and running into a few technical traps.  Mainly that if deletion vectors are enabled on a delta table (which they are by default now) we get errors when trying to query a table (specifically with PowerBI).

i.e. "Table features delta.enableDeletionVectors are found in table version: 5. For DeletionVectors, use DBR with version 14.1(14.2 for CDF and streaming) or higher, or delta-sharing-spark with version 3.1 or higher, and set option (\"responseFormat\", \"delta\") to query the table. "

How do you effect the version of DBR (i.e. to use 14.2) what compute is delta-sharing using to be able to change the spec?  

2 REPLIES 2

NandiniN
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @DrK ,

From the error mentioned. 

If you try to set option("responseFormat", "delta") in the query, does it succeed?

To answer your question - In Databricks Runtime 14.2 and above, tables with deletion vectors support row-level concurrency. 

Databricks recommends using Databricks Runtime 14.3 LTS and above to write tables with deletion vectors to leverage all optimizations. 

DrK
New Contributor III

Hi,

Thanks for the response, however, I don`t think you can set such parameters with the PowerBI native connector for delta, only parameter is a max row count.

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!