cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Administration & Architecture
Explore discussions on Databricks administration, deployment strategies, and architectural best practices. Connect with administrators and architects to optimize your Databricks environment for performance, scalability, and security.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pass secret in spark config when value is in form a.b.c={{secrets/scope/secret}}

macmiller1
New Contributor II

I am configuring the Cluster for a spark-submit task and I am trying to specify `spark.executor.extraJavaOptions a.b.c={{secrets/scope/secret}}` but the literal {{secrets/scope/secret}} is being passed in rather than the secret value itself.

I know the convention for secrets is `spark.conf.something {{secrets/scope/secret}}` when the value is the secret itself and this substitution works fine for me in similar cases. Given my value in the above is a.b.c={{secrets/scope/secret}} the secret substitution is not working. I have also tried with an environment variable ie `spark.executor.extraJavaOptions a.b.c=${MY_ENV_VAR}` but this is also not working. 

I suspect that given the {{secrets/scope/secret}} does not have a space character before it but instead `=` the substitution isn't working properly.

Any suggestions on how to achieve this would be greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @macmiller1

• Instead of using the {{secrets/scope/secret}} syntax, you can try using environment variables.
  • If you prefer to use the {{secrets/scope/secret}} syntax, you can try escaping the equal sign (=) in your value.
  • One way to do this is by using the URL-encoded version of the equal sign, which is %3D.
  • Instead of using an equal sign (=) in your value, you can try using a different separator, such as a colon (:) or a comma (,).

Try these solutions and see if they help resolve the issue you're facing with the secret substitution in the spark.executor.extraJavaOptions parameter.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @macmiller1

• Instead of using the {{secrets/scope/secret}} syntax, you can try using environment variables.
  • If you prefer to use the {{secrets/scope/secret}} syntax, you can try escaping the equal sign (=) in your value.
  • One way to do this is by using the URL-encoded version of the equal sign, which is %3D.
  • Instead of using an equal sign (=) in your value, you can try using a different separator, such as a colon (:) or a comma (,).

Try these solutions and see if they help resolve the issue you're facing with the secret substitution in the spark.executor.extraJavaOptions parameter.

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you wonโ€™t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isnโ€™t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group