cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Administration & Architecture
Explore discussions on Databricks administration, deployment strategies, and architectural best practices. Connect with administrators and architects to optimize your Databricks environment for performance, scalability, and security.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Ray cannot detect GPU on the cluster

Awoke101
New Contributor III

I am trying to run ray on databricks for chunking and embedding tasks. The cluster Iā€™m using is:

g4dn.xlarge
1-4 workers with 4-16 cores
1 GPU and 16GB memory

I have set spark.task.resource.gpu.amount to 0.5 currently.

This is how I have setup my ray cluster:

setup_ray_cluster( min_worker_nodes=1, max_worker_nodes=3, num_gpus_head_node=1, )

And this is the chunking function:

@ray.remote(num_gpus=0.2)
def chunk_udf(row):
    texts = row["content"]
    data = row.copy()
    split_text = splitter.split_text(texts)
    split_text = [text.replace("\n", " ") for text in split_text]
    return list(zip(split_text,data))

When I run the flat_map function for chunking. It throws the following error:

chunked_ds = ds.flat_map(chunk_udf)
chunked_ds.show(5) 
At least one of the input arguments for this task could not be computed: ray.exceptions.RaySystemError: System error: Attempting to deserialize object on a CUDA device but torch.cuda.is_available() is False. If you are running on a CPU-only machine, please use torch.load with map_location=torch.device('cpu') to map your storages to the CPU. 

Is there something I need to change in my setup?
torch.cuda.is_available() returns True in the notebook.

0 REPLIES 0

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you wonā€™t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isnā€™t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group