cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small files and discrepancy in S3 vs catalog

bfrank1972
New Contributor III

Hello all,

I'm in the process of optimizing my tables and I'm running into a confusing situation. I have a table named "trace_messages_fg_streaming_event". If I navigate to the Databricks catalog, it shows stats:

Size: 6.7GB, Files: 464

But when I look at our actual S3 location

File Count: 2544762
Total Size (in bytes): 789695631757 (735.69 gigabytes)

The file count above is gathered using a script parsing an aws s3 ls command line for the root folder of my delta table. This is not a recursive call so it's only counting root files, not files under the delta log folder, etc. We chose not to partition this table as given the size of our data it seemed that Zordering the whole table nightly was a better solution for consolidated files (and thus performance). 

Table config:

delta.autoOptimize.autoCompact=false
delta.autoOptimize.optimizeWrite=true
delta.minReaderVersion=1
delta.minWriterVersion=6
delta.targetFileSize=1073741824

This table is being constantly written to by a write stream, so I understand that there may be smaller files as part of the write, but those should be cleaned up with the nightly optimize. These small files we're seeing are spread out over the past year. Example screen shot:

bfrank1972_0-1697577884569.png

Zordering is based on day for these logs - we've tried several approaches including optimize without zordering and we still have many many small files. Also the Zorder doesn't really take that long either (a couple minutes) which is suspicious to me. 

Any insight/help on what we're seeing would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Brad

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

bfrank1972
New Contributor III

Nevermind, I'm dumb, figured it out, high frequency transactions leave many little files that need to be vacuumed. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @bfrank1972, Could you please check your Delta Lake version: Make sure that you are using the latest version of Delta Lake that includes all the latest fixes and optimizations.

bfrank1972
New Contributor III

Hi Kaniz - I checked and it's a bit confusing, as far as I know delta version is attached to cluster runtime and we've been upgrading that over time - we've been at 12.2 for a while but now we're up to 13.3 LTS. The really strange thing is today I decided to clone the table, and the cloned table is literally maybe a dozen files. I'm still not sure what all those residual files are but perhaps they are left over from something that happened in the past - anyways I think we're going to re-clone over the weekend and switch our pipeline to the new table and see how it goes.

bfrank1972
New Contributor III

Hi all - quick update, I've rebuilt the table, and am using partitioning now by year and quarter (just a side note really), and after the initial rebuild (using structured streaming loading millions of small json files), the file sizes looked great. But I'm still having problems, and it comes down to the structured streaming writes I have.

2023/Q2 (no file writes as it's too far back, looks great):

bfrank1972_0-1698235148183.png

2023/Q3 (A few writes since we're near the boundary, you see the small files):

bfrank1972_1-1698235208218.png

2023/Q4 (majority of writes here, tons of small files): 

bfrank1972_2-1698235238681.png

So then I run an optimize on 2023/Q4 partition and get:

{
"numFilesAdded": 0,
"numFilesRemoved": 0,
"filesAdded": {
"min": null,
"max": null,
"avg": 0,
"totalFiles": 0,
"totalSize": 0
},
"filesRemoved": {
"min": null,
"max": null,
"avg": 0,
"totalFiles": 0,
"totalSize": 0
},
"partitionsOptimized": 1,
"zOrderStats": null,
"numBatches": 0,
"totalConsideredFiles": 2,
"totalFilesSkipped": 2,
"preserveInsertionOrder": true,
"numFilesSkippedToReduceWriteAmplification": 0,
"numBytesSkippedToReduceWriteAmplification": 0,
"startTimeMs": 1698234957310,
"endTimeMs": 1698234959099,
"totalClusterParallelism": 12,
"totalScheduledTasks": 0,
"autoCompactParallelismStats": null,
"deletionVectorStats": {
"numDeletionVectorsRemoved": 0,
"numDeletionVectorRowsRemoved": 0
},
"numTableColumns": 60,
"numTableColumnsWithStats": 32,
"totalTaskExecutionTimeMs": 0,
"skippedArchivedFiles": 0,
"clusteringMetrics": null
}

The files we are reading are json files that correlate to one row in the table and we're processing about 150k files/rows a day into this table, using a standard readstream + writestream in pyspark. This is a delta table, and also has autocompact=true and optimizewrites=true. 

I'm at a loss why these files are not getting consolidated, and would love a solution that would keep them optimized in file sizes around 250-300MB. Over time this will become a big performance problem, and I'd rather not have to rebuild my entire table periodically. I'm hoping I'm just missing something key here. Also using clusters with the latest (as of today) 13.3 LTS runtime. 

Any insight/help into diagnosing this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Brad

bfrank1972
New Contributor III

Nevermind, I'm dumb, figured it out, high frequency transactions leave many little files that need to be vacuumed. 

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.