cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asset Bundles git branch per target

thibault
Contributor

Hi,

I am migrating from dbx to Databricks Asset Bundles (DAB) a deployment setup where I have specific parameters per environment. This was working well with dbx, and I am trying now to define those parameters defining targets (3 targets : dev, uat, prod). Each of these targets should use a different git branch to pull the code from. However adding this :

git:
branch: dev | uat | prod

It doesn't change anything, and no matter which target I deploy, the default branch specified in the main resource setup gets pulled :

git_source:
git_url: *****
git_provider: *****
git_branch: main

Does anyone have a solution to pull from a different git branch based on which target is deployed via databricks bundle deploy -t target ?

6 REPLIES 6

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @thibaultWhen working with Databricks Asset Bundles (DABs), you can indeed specify different git branches for different targets.

Let’s address this step by step:

1. Understanding Databricks Asset Bundles (DABs):

2. Defining Git Branches for Different Targets:

• To specify different git branches for each target (dev, uat, prod), you need to configure your DAB accordingly.
    • In your DAB configuration, you can override the default git branch specified in the main resource setup for each target.
  3. Bundle Configuration YAML:

• The bundle configuration YAML allows you to define settings for your DAB.

• Here’s an example of how you can set up git branches per target:

bundle:
        name: MyDAB
        # Other bundle settings...

targets:
        dev:
          git:
            git_branch: dev
            git_provider: <provider>
            git_url: <git_url>

uat:
          git:
            git_branch: uat

prod:
          git:
            git_branch: prod

• Replace <provider> and <git_url> with your actual Git provider and repository URL.

4. Explanation:

• In the above configuration, each target (dev, uat, prod) specifies its own git branch.
    • When deploying to a specific target (e.g., databricks bundle deploy -t dev), Databricks will use the corresponding git branch defined for that target.
    • The git_source section in your main resource setup will be overridden by the target-specific configuration.
  5. Deploying with Different Git Branches:

• Now, when you deploy using databricks bundle deploy -t target, Databricks will pull the code from the specified git branch associated with that target.

Remember to replace placeholders (<provider> and <git_url>) with your actual Git provider details and repository URL. With this setup, you’ll be able to manage different git branches per environment using DABs23

thibault
Contributor

Kaniz, thank you for your response.

I have done exactly what you suggest (both with naming the section git and git_source) and I am getting this error:

Error: terraform apply: exit status 1

Error: cannot update job: Invalid use of git source in Python Task specification

The workflow consists of 3 tasks : 2 python tasks and 1 notebook task, all pulled from git.

To add some details here, if I specify the git config under the overall resources: -> jobs, the deployment succeeds, but the git setups per branch do not override that global setup.

Also, if there is no git setup at the top level resources: -> jobs, despite it being defined at the target level, the bundle.tf.json produced with databricks bundle deploy does not contain any info about git sources, which is why the deployment fails.

All good now?

Nope, I had to revert back to using dbx, so I will postpone migration to DAB until I find examples that work.

thibault
Contributor

Something must have changed in the meantime on Databricks side. I have only updated databricks CLI to 016 and now, using a git / branch under each target deploys this setup, where feature-dab is the branch I want the job to pull sources from, I see this :

thibault_0-1711620816949.png

But not sure what this means as I've never seen this in the Jobs UI, and the YAML produced still shows only the main branch as source. Do you know @Kaniz ? I can't find docs on this.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.