cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Community Discussions
Connect with fellow community members to discuss general topics related to the Databricks platform, industry trends, and best practices. Share experiences, ask questions, and foster collaboration within the community.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can we pass parameters thru SQL UDF's?

TrevorC
New Contributor III

Is it possible to pass a parameter to a SQL UDF to another SQL UDF that is called by the first SQL UDF?

Below is an example where I would like to call tbl_filter() from tbl_func() by passing the tbl_func.a_val parameter to tbl_filter(). 

Obviously, I could just implement the logic in one function, but in my use case that means repeating the "tbl_filter()" part of the query over and over in different versions of "tbl_func()", which defeats the purpose of packaging code in functions. Ideally, there would be a single version of "tbl_filter()" to maintain that could be called from a variety of different versions of "tbl_func()". 

CREATE OR REPLACE TEMPORARY VIEW test_tbl AS
WITH a AS
(SELECT explode(sequence(1, 10)) AS a),
b AS
(SELECT explode(sequence(50, 60)) AS b)
SELECT * FROM a CROSS JOIN b;

CREATE OR REPLACE TEMPORARY FUNCTION tbl_filter(a_val INT)
    RETURNS TABLE(a INT, b INT)
    RETURN
    SELECT * FROM test_tbl tf
    WHERE tf.a = tbl_filter.a_val;

CREATE OR REPLACE TEMPORARY FUNCTION tbl_func(a_val INT, b_val INT)
    RETURNS TABLE(a INT, b INT)
    RETURN
    SELECT * FROM tbl_filter(tbl_func.a_val) tf
    WHERE tf.b = tbl_func.b_val;

-- This executes
-- select * from tbl_filter(1);

-- This does not: Error in SQL statement: AnalysisException: could not resolve `tbl_filter` to a table-valued function.
select * from tbl_func(1, 60);

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TrevorC
New Contributor III

Thanks, Kaniz, that does not suit my use case, but I got an answer to this on StackOverflow:
In Databricks Workbook using Spark SQL, how to pass parameters thru SQL UDF functions? - Stack Overf...

The issue was the use of temporary functions. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @TrevorC, You can pass a parameter from one SQL User-Defined Function (UDF) to another. 

Letโ€™s break down your example and address the issue.

1. tbl_filter() is a UDF that takes an input parameter a_val and returns a table.
  2. tbl_func() is another UDF that also takes parameters a_val and b_val, and returns a table.
  3. In tbl_func(), you want to call tbl_filter() by passing the a_val parameter.

The error you encountered (Error in SQL statement: AnalysisException: could not resolve 'tbl_filter' to a table-valued function.) occurs because the tbl_filter() function is not recognized within the context of tbl_func().

To achieve your goal, you can use a common table expression (CTE) or a subquery to compute the result of tbl_filter() before using it in tbl_func().

TrevorC
New Contributor III

Thanks, Kaniz, that does not suit my use case, but I got an answer to this on StackOverflow:
In Databricks Workbook using Spark SQL, how to pass parameters thru SQL UDF functions? - Stack Overf...

The issue was the use of temporary functions. 

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!