cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Databricks Job cost(AWS)

yatharth
New Contributor III

Hi Databricks Community,

I am looking for a formula/way to calculate the estimated cost for a job run, for which I have a few questions:

1. Is there any formula to calculate the cost of any job like -> [(EC2 per hr cost) * (total time job ran)]
and when i say total time job ran, do we subtract the 5 min which usually takes for a cluster to start, cause for an hourly job that 5 min would end up being extra 2hrs per day

2. Do we include DBU consumed too when calculating cost ->[(EC2 per hr cost) * (total time job ran)]+[(DBU consumed)*(DBU/hr rate)]

In conclusion i would like to know the formula for calculating a Job run cost(using AWS EC2) and if we need to include the 5 min of cluster starting time in formula
Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

daniel_sahal
Esteemed Contributor

@yatharth 

Here's how it works:

- You pay for DBUs when the cluster is up and running up to the point when cluster is terminated.
- You pay for VM from start to deallocation of VM.

It's quite good explained on Azure pricing documentation. It's about instance pools, but gives a fine overview of how it actually works:

daniel_sahal_0-1709716334913.png

yatharth
New Contributor III

This looks a little bit confusing to me, I'm looking for a more straight forward answer, more like a simple formula

Thanks though for your reply