Community Discussions
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insufficient Permissions Issue on Databricks

MOUNIKASIMHADRI
New Contributor
I have encountered a technical issue on Databricks.
While executing commands both in Spark and SQL within the Databricks environment, 
I’ve run into permission-related errors from selecting files from DBFS. 
"org.apache.spark.SparkSecurityException: [INSUFFICIENT_PERMISSIONS] Insufficient privileges" 
and
"SparkSecurityException: [INSUFFICIENT_PERMISSIONS] Insufficient privileges: User does not have permission SELECT on any file."
Tried many times and I have all the privileges owner has but still unable to resolve the issue.

2 REPLIES 2

Walter_C
Valued Contributor II
Valued Contributor II

Hello Mounika, many thanks for your question, are you using a shared access cluster? If yes, shared clusters requires you to grant Select permission on Any file to be able to access DBFS as mentioned on this doc https://docs.databricks.com/en/data-governance/table-acls/any-file.html#how-does-any-file-interact-w...
You can grant this permission by running https://kb.databricks.com/en_US/data/user-does-not-have-permission-select-on-any-file 

Another solution will be to use single user cluster which does not requires it.

NandiniN
Valued Contributor II
Valued Contributor II

Hi @MOUNIKASIMHADRI ,

Workspace admins get ANY FILE granted by default. They can explicitly grant it to non-admin users.

Hence as suggested in the kb, 

GRANT SELECT ON ANY FILE TO `<user@domain-name>`

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.