cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Community Platform Discussions
Connect with fellow community members to discuss general topics related to the Databricks platform, industry trends, and best practices. Share experiences, ask questions, and foster collaboration within the community.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Application extracting Data from Unity Catalogue

gideont
New Contributor III

Dear Databricks community,

I'm seeking advice on the best method for applications to extract data from the Unity catalogue. One suggested approach is to use JDBC, but there seems to be a dilemma. Although using a job cluster has been recommended due to its cost-effectiveness, it appears that JDBC isn't supported in this environment and is only available for general-purpose clusters. What is the recommended approach in this situation?

3 REPLIES 3

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

What exacltly do you mean by 'extracting'?  If you want to load tables defined in Unity into a database, I would indeed do this using job clusters and a notebook.
If you want to extract some data once in a while into a csv f.e., you could perfectly do that with any sql tool using odbc or even in databricks ui itself.

Or do you want to have some kind of a SQL api where applications can run queries?

gideont
New Contributor III

"extracting" as in end applications query data from unity catalog.  For example, end application such as 'react app' or django app to query data upon user's request.  I have millions of IoT data streaming to Databricks, and I've streaming job ETL to structure the data, then I would like end applications to query the data by device id, by time, by region for example.   

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

Interesting.
There is a SQL statement api:
https://docs.databricks.com/api/workspace/statementexecution.

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you wonโ€™t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isnโ€™t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group