cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Platform Discussions
Connect with fellow community members to discuss general topics related to the Databricks platform, industry trends, and best practices. Share experiences, ask questions, and foster collaboration within the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

column mask on <tinyint>Y columns gives error

DW
New Contributor

My table breaks when I try to mask a column with a name like `<tinyint>Y`

-- Create a table with a masked column
> CREATE FUNCTION mask_int_col(col_val INTEGER) RETURN CASE WHEN is_member('HumanResourceDept') THEN col_val ELSE CAST(NULL as INTEGER) END;
> CREATE TABLE persons(name STRING, 1Y INTEGER MASK mask_int_col);
> INSERT INTO persons VALUES('James', 1);

-- What I expect when I'm not a member of the Human Resource Department
> SELECT * FROM persons;
James NULL

-- What I get
> SELECT * FROM persons;
[UNRESOLVED_COLUMN.WITHOUT_SUGGESTION] A column, variable, or function parameter with name `1Y` cannot be resolved. SQLSTATE: 42703

Column names like e.g. 128Y or 1Ya are not a problem.

I understand column names like 1Y are better to be avoided, but that a table breaks because of this does surprise me.

Is there a solution for this problem?

Luckily I can access the table again when dropping the mask.

ALTER TABLE persons ALTER COLUMN `1Y` DROP MASK

1 REPLY 1

filipniziol
Contributor

Hi @DW ,

I have replicated your scenario and encountered the same error when applying a column mask to a column named 1Y in Databricks SQL.

In short, it makes sense simply to follow Databricks documentation and use the SQL naming conventions, so that column names:

• Begin with a letter or an underscore.
  • Contain only letters, digits, and underscores.

In my experience, using not standard column names, then the need to use ` backticks characters is asking oneself for trouble.

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group