cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Platform Discussions
Connect with fellow community members to discuss general topics related to the Databricks platform, industry trends, and best practices. Share experiences, ask questions, and foster collaboration within the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curl command working in 12.2 but not in 13.3

MaximeGendre
New Contributor III

Hello, 
one my teammate is trying to put some obversability on our Databricks flows.
When he tries to contact our Open Telemetry server, he gets a timeout.
I had a look, and the same command (on the same Databricks workspace) works well with runtime 12.2.
It does not run in 13.3 (or above)

%sh
curl https://otel-<something>.com

"curl: (28) Failed to connect to otel-<something>.com port 443 after 129793 ms: Connection timed out"

II have no idea how to explain it.
Has anyone experienced a similar problem? ?

Thanks for you help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

szymon_dybczak
Contributor

Hi @MaximeGendre ,

There is a difference in the curl version between runtime 12.2 (curl 7.68.0) and 13.3 (7.81.0).
You can try installing the older version of the curl on the cluster with runtime 13.3 and see if that's not causing the problem.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

szymon_dybczak
Contributor

Hi @MaximeGendre ,

There is a difference in the curl version between runtime 12.2 (curl 7.68.0) and 13.3 (7.81.0).
You can try installing the older version of the curl on the cluster with runtime 13.3 and see if that's not causing the problem.

Marlene495
New Contributor II

It seems there’s a timeout issue with the Open Telemetry server on Databricks runtime 13.3 and above, which doesn’t occur with runtime 12.2. Here are some steps to troubleshoot:

Check Network Configurations: Ensure no network restrictions or firewall rules are blocking the connection.
Review Runtime Changes: Look at the release notes for runtime 13.3 and above for any relevant changes.
Increase Timeout: Try increasing the timeout in your curl command:
curl --max-time 300 https://otel-<something>.com

Contact Support: Reach out to Databricks support for assistance.
Community Forums: Check forums for similar issues.

MaximeGendre
New Contributor III

Hello,
thank you for your answer.
I tried to update library version and it was almost the solution.
It realized it neither works in 12.2 but the output was pretty different and it misled me.

Probably a network config to set up in the target server.

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group