cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Platform Discussions
Connect with fellow community members to discuss general topics related to the Databricks platform, industry trends, and best practices. Share experiences, ask questions, and foster collaboration within the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Databricks Rstudio Init Script Deprecated

meystingray
New Contributor II

OK so I'm trying to use Open Source Rstudio on Azure Databricks.

I'm following the instructions here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/databricks/sparkr/rstudio#install-rstudio-server-open-source...

I've installed the necessary init script at "dbfs:/databricks/rstudio/rstudio-install.sh", and confirmed it exists.

However, the directions instruct me to create a cluster with the init script pointing to the above file.

When I select DBFS, I see that these scripts have been deprecated and the init script won't show up, getting this message:

"Cluster-scoped init scripts on DBFS are deprecated. They should be stored as workspace files instead."

When I select Workspace, I can add the script, but when starting the cluter I get the following error:

Init script failure:
BAD_REQUEST: requirement failed: dbfs:/databricks/rstudio/rstudio-install.sh is not absolute.

How else am I supposed to get this init script added?  Thanks

1 REPLY 1

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @meystingrayThe error message you're encountering is indicating that the init script path is not absolute. According to the Databricks documentation, init scripts should be stored as workspace files.

Here's how you can do it.

1. Store your init script in a workspace file. You can store init scripts in any location where you have proper permissions. By default, only the user uploading the init script and workspace admins have permissions on these files.

2. When configuring your cluster, reference the init script stored in the workspace file. The path to the workspace file should be absolute. Remember to restart the cluster after adding the init script.

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group