cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Platform Discussions
Connect with fellow community members to discuss general topics related to the Databricks platform, industry trends, and best practices. Share experiences, ask questions, and foster collaboration within the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iceberg

Mohsen
New Contributor
Hi fellas
i am working on databricks using iceberg
at first i have configured my notebook as below
spark.conf.set("spark.sql.catalog.spark_catalog","org.apache.iceberg.spark.SparkCatalog")
spark.conf.set("spark.sql.catalog.spark_catalog.type", "hadoop")
spark.conf.set("spark.sql.catalog.spark_catalog.warehouse", "dbfs:/TPCDSIceberg/Data/")
then i created an iceberg tables
spark.sql(s"CREATE DATABASE IF NOT EXISTS bronzedb") spark.sql(s"DROP TABLE IF EXISTS bronzedb.bronzeTable") // Create an empty Delta table in the bronze layer spark.sql( s""" |CREATE TABLE bronzedb.bronzeTable($schemas) |USING $sinkFormat |location 'dbfs:/TPCDSIceberg/Data/bronzedb/bronzeTableName' |""".stripMargin )
and then i tried to load this table
val icebergDf = spark.read.format("iceberg").load(s"bronzedb.bronze_call_center")
but i get this Exception
RuntimeMetaException: Failed to connect to Hive Metastore Caused by: RuntimeException: Unable to instantiate org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStoreClient Caused by: InvocationTargetException: Caused by: MetaException: Version information not found in metastore.

1 REPLY 1

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Mohsen

• The exception "RuntimeMetaException: Failed to connect to Hive Metastore" occurs because the Hive metastore cannot find the version information.

To resolve the issue, follow the steps below:

- Set up a cluster with spark.sql.hive.metastore.version set to 2.1.1 and spark.sql.hive.metastore.jars set to maven.
  - Set the following properties:
      - spark.hadoop.javax.jdo.option.ConnectionURL
      - spark.hadoop.javax.jdo.option.ConnectionUserName
      - spark.hadoop.javax.jdo.option.ConnectionPassword
      - spark.hadoop.javax.jdo.option.ConnectionDriverName (set it to com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver)
  - Find the location of the downloaded metastore JARs using the command grep "Downloaded metastore jars to" /databricks/driver/logs/log4j-active.log.
  - Copy the downloaded JARs to DBFS using the DBFS mount point in the local file system of the driver node.
  - Replace datanucleus-rdbms 4.1.7 with datanucleus-rdbms 4.1.16 by deleting the old JAR and downloading the new JAR.
• < UNK> Following these steps, you should be able to resolve the issue and connect to the Hive metastore successfully.

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group