Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Access Databricks Delta table using SSRS without copying data to AzureSQL

MattM
New Contributor III

We have our BI facts and dimensions built in as delta table in Datarbicks env and is being used for reporting by connecting PowerBI reports using datarbricks connection. We now have a need to use this data for another application utilizing SSRS reports. Is there a way to connect SSRS report to the data in the delta table without replicating the data to azure sql? We do not want to use Azure Synapse on top of it. While querying the parquet file format of the delta table might be one solution but is not the most elegant one.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RyanD-AgCountry
Contributor

I know we've been able to successfully connect Power BI Service to Databricks via the Simba Spark ODBC driver installed on a PBI Gateway server. I haven't gone into trying through our SSRS server yet. I suspect it is likely possible if network and drivers are configured correctly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, @Matt Mโ€‹ - Welcome back! I'm sure the community will respond soon. Thank you for your patience. ๐Ÿ™‚

RyanD-AgCountry
Contributor

I know we've been able to successfully connect Power BI Service to Databricks via the Simba Spark ODBC driver installed on a PBI Gateway server. I haven't gone into trying through our SSRS server yet. I suspect it is likely possible if network and drivers are configured correctly.

Chris_Grabiel
New Contributor III

Like @Ryan Dalyโ€‹  said, you can do this "natively" using Databricks SQL (since SSRS and other tools can "see" the SQL endpoint can communicate with it via ODBC (using the Simba Spark driver). We have integrated this way with PowerBI, SSIS, SSRS, desktop SQL IDEs, Tableau Desktop/Server, etc.

I've been filling warehouses and lakes for almost 15 years, and as such I've held all types of roles along my data engineering "journey." Have a question? Just ask!

mvs
New Contributor II

Could you please let me know how to configure the SimbaSpark ODBC driver with databricks

Hi @Chris_Grabiel ,  I was following the post as facing some issue while deploying the SSRS report to the desired SSRS server instance. I was able to retrieve the data in SSRS (visual studio) from data bricks using end point ODBC connector. However, when I am deploying the report to SSRS server there is error and when I check the SSRS server instance I can see that connection is unable to build. Although I have installed the same ODBC connector on server machine. I am using the connection string Dsn=eduschedargdevmanagedrgdbw01 on SSRS server. Looking forward to hearing from you soon. Cheers,

MattM
New Contributor III

Thanks AgCountry FCS (Customer) and Chris Grabiel (Customer)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Matt Mโ€‹ - Would you be happy to mark whichever answer provided your solution as best so other members may find the solution more quickly?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.