Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

access to event_log TVF

giladba
New Contributor III

Hi, 

According to the documentation:

https://docs.databricks.com/en/delta-live-tables/observability.html

"The event_log TVF can be called only by the pipeline owner and a view created over the event_log TVF can be queried only by the pipeline owner. The view cannot be shared with other users."

Can you suggest a workaround?

After searching there is another documentation that says"
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/databricks/sql/language-manual/functions/event_log
"Only owners of the pipeline, streaming table, or materialized view can view the event log. Create a view and grant users access on the view to allow other users to query the event log."

> CREATE VIEW event_log_raw AS SELECT * FROM event_log(table(my_mv));
> GRANT SELECT ON VIEW event_log_raw TO `user@databricks.com`;

After granting users access on the view I created,  the user still can't access the view I created.

Would appreciate your help!

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Atanu
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@giladba What is the error the user is getting after granting the permission?

giladba
New Contributor III

com.databricks.backend.common.rpc.SparkDriverExceptions$SQLExecutionException: com.databricks.sql.managedcatalog.acl.UnauthorizedAccessException: PERMISSION_DENIED: User does not have permission to access event logs of pipeline 'pipelineid'

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @giladbaThe error message "com.databricks.backend.common.rpc.SparkDriverExceptions$SQLExecutionException: com.databricks.sql.managedcatalog.acl.UnauthorizedAccessException: PERMISSION_DENIED: User does not have permission to access event logs of pipeline '_pipelineid_'"  indicates that the user does not have the necessary permissions to access the event logs of the specified pipeline. This could be due to the user not having the correct permissions for the securables in the metastore, which can include catalogs, schemas, tables, views, etc.
• The user not being registered in the account console to access the Unity Catalog.
• The user does not have the "SELECT" permission on certain tables.

To resolve this issue, you can validate if the user/service principal has the proper permission to access the event logs of the pipeline.
• Verify if the user is registered in the account console. If not, register the user.
• Check if the user has "SELECT" permission on the necessary tables. If not, grant the required permissions using the GRANT SELECT ON <table_name> TO <username> command.

giladba
New Contributor III

Thanks. The user is part of a group that has select on the relevant view and all the parent permissions needed for the Unity Catalog.

neha_ayodhya
New Contributor II

Hi,
I am also facing the same issue, even after following all the steps mentioned, I am not able to query the event logs.
any help will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.