cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Activate spark extensions on SQL Endpoints

juanc
New Contributor II

It would be possible to activate a custom extensions like Sedona (https://sedona.apache.org/download/databricks/ ) in SQL Endopoints?

Example error:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.spark.sql.sedona_sql.UDT.GeometryUDT at org.apache.spark.sql.hive.thriftserver.SparkExecuteStatementOperation.org$apache$spark$sql$hive$thrift'. (35) (SQLExecDirectW)

9 REPLIES 9

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @JUAN MENDEZโ€‹ , You just need to install the Sedona jars and Sedona Python on Databricks using Databricks' default web UI. Then everything will work.

Please have a look at the documentation.

Brendon_Daugher
New Contributor II

@Kaniz Fatmaโ€‹ does this work for SQL Endpoints as well as clusters?

I am able to install this extension using the Sedona jars with no problems on my compute cluster, but it seems to me that the UI doesn't have an option for me to do this for a SQL Warehouse. I am using azure, so I'm not sure if that makes it different.

For example, when I click into my compute cluster, I see the tab shown at the bottom, while on my "starter endpoint" I don't see an analagous option.

Thanks in advance!

Brendon_Daugher
New Contributor II

Brendon_Daugher
New Contributor II

Arh
New Contributor II

Having the same issue. Working with sedona in a cluster is no problem. However, when using an SQL endpoint the following error occurs:

org.apache.spark.sql.sedona_sql.UDT.GeometryUDT

Im working in Azure Databricks (latest version)

Wondering if anyone has a solutution or workaround.

marcin-sg
New Contributor III

Same here.

wallfacer
New Contributor II

@Kaniz_Fatma any updates here?

ergรผ
New Contributor II

same hier on Azure Databricks.

naveenanto
New Contributor III

@Kaniz_Fatma What is the right way to add custom spark extension to sql warehouse clusters?

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you wonโ€™t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isnโ€™t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group