Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Backup/Export Databricks SQL Column Comments

New Contributor III

We've had users make comments on tables/columns throughout Databricks SQL using the Data Explorer UI. I'm looking for a way to backup these comments, but when I run DESCRIBE TABLE, the comment column is always null despite being non-null in Data Explorer. Is there another approach that I can use that will pull comments for all tables and columns?

2 REPLIES 2

shan_chandra
Honored Contributor III
Honored Contributor III

@804082  - Markdown does not render when returned by DESCRIBE statements. we can view them on the Data Explorer UI.

Reference:   https://docs.databricks.com/en/data/markdown-data-comments.html#document-data-with-markdown-comments

New Contributor III

Appreciate the response. When I add a comment via "ALTER TABLE ... CHANGE COLUMN ... COMMENT ...", the comment is still shown in the Data Explorer UI. I suppose it's a one-way thing where comments on the table are visible in the Data Explorer UI but Data Explorer UI comments are not actually in the table.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.