cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we use Managed Identity to create mount point for ADLS Gen2

srikanth2
New Contributor II

Hi,

We would like to use Azure Managed Identity to create mount point to read/write data from/to ADLS Gen2?

We are also using following code snippet to use MSI authentication to read data from ADLS Gen2 but it is giving error,

storage_account_name = "<<mystorageaccount>>"
storage_endpoint = "abfss://{}/".format(storage_account_name)
spark.conf.set("fs.azure.account.auth.type.{}.dfs.core.windows.net".format(storage_account_name), "MSI")
spark.conf.set("fs.azure.account.oauth.provider.type.{}.dfs.core.windows.net".format(storage_account_name), "org.apache.hadoop.fs.azurebfs.oauth2.MSICredentialProvider")
Error:
"No enum constant shaded.databricks.azurebfs.org.apache.hadoop.fs.azurebfs.services.AuthType.MSI"

It looks like MSI support is not enabled. Can we use Managed Identity(User Assigned Managed Identity) to read/write from ADLS Gen2 inside notebook, not through unified catalog.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

Walter_C
Valued Contributor II
Valued Contributor II

It seems that using User Assigned Managed Identity to read/write from ADLS Gen2 inside a notebook is not directly supported at the moment.

srikanth2
New Contributor II

Thanks for the Reply Walter.

Can I use Subject Name + Issuer Authentication inside the Databricks notebook? Is this supported?

Can I use Federated Identity Credential inside the notebook?

If yes, can you please refer me right pointers.

Thanks