Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Connect and process Azure analysis services

omfspartan
New Contributor III

How do I connect to Azure analysis services from databricks? I need to process the tabular model from databricks. I tried to use adodbapi. while connecting it is failing with error message "windows com error dispatch adodb.connection". please help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

omfspartan
New Contributor III

Thank you. I ended up using Azure Analysis services rest api for now because my use case is to process the model and tables from databricks

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

JunYang
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

To connect to Azure Analysis Services from Databricks, you can try the SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS) connector. Please note that adodbapi is a Python library used for connecting to databases using the ADO (ActiveX Data Objects) technology, which is a part of the Windows COM (Component Object Model) technology. It's not directly compatible with Databricks as Databricks runs on Linux-based Spark clusters and doesn't support Windows COM/ADO technologies. So, can you try to connect to Azure Analysis Services using the Pyodbc library:

%python
import pyodbc

driver = "{ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server}"
server = "your_server.database.windows.net"
database = "your_database"
username = "your_username"
password = "your_password"
analysis_services_database = "your_analysis_services_database"

connection_string = f"DRIVER={driver};SERVER={server};DATABASE={database};UID={username};PWD={password};"

conn = pyodbc.connect(connection_string, autocommit=True)
cursor = conn.cursor()

query = f"SELECT * FROM {analysis_services_database}..."
cursor.execute(query)

Please enter your actual MSFT Azure Analysis Services server, database, username, and password. Please note that you need to install the Pyodbc library and ODBC Driver for SQL Server in your Databricks cluster.

omfspartan
New Contributor III

Thank you. I ended up using Azure Analysis services rest api for now because my use case is to process the model and tables from databricks

omfspartan
New Contributor III

I got another use case now "to run dax against Azure Analysis Services model" from AWS databricks. I tried above suggestion from "Jun Yang" and it is erroring out after 30 seconds with the exception that "Login timeout is expired"

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.