cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Connect power bi desktop semantic model output to databricks

madhumitha
New Contributor II

Hello, I am trying to connect the power bi semantic model output (basically the data that has already been pre processed) to databricks. Does anybody know how to do this? I would like it to be an automated process so I would like to know any way to pull the data from the power bi desktop directly to databricks.

5 REPLIES 5

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @madhumithaConnecting Power BI semantic model output to Databricks can be done in a few steps.

Here are a couple of options:

1. Databricks Power Query Connector:
    • The new Databricks connector is natively integrated into Power BI. You can configure connections to Databricks with just a few clicks.
    • In Power BI Desktop, follow these steps:
      1. Select โ€œGet Data.โ€
      2. Search for โ€œDatabricksโ€ to shortlist the Databricks connector.
      3. Authenticate once using Azure Active Directory (AAD).
      4. Enter the Databricks-specific connection details.
    • Once configured, youโ€™ll be ready to query the data directly from Databricks1.
  1. Azure Databricks and Power BI Integration:

madhumitha
New Contributor II

Hello,

Thank you for your reply and help! I realised I need to connect to the online power BI version  as I am connecting to the updated semantic models that is updated by someone else onto power bi online (workspaces). 

do you know if the same connection you sent in the article is applicable to this? Thanks!

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @madhumithaConnecting to semantic models in the Power BI service from Power BI Desktop is a useful feature when working with shared data models.

Hereโ€™s how you can establish a live connection to a published semantic model in the Power BI service:

1. In Power BI Desktop:

• Go to the Home tab.
    • Select Get data > Power BI semantic models.
    • Alternatively, you can select Get data, then on the Get Data screen, choose Power Platform in the left pane, and then select Power BI semantic models.
    • If youโ€™re not signed in, Power BI will prompt you to sign in.
    • The Data hub will display the workspaces youโ€™re a member of and all the shared semantic models you have Build permission for in any workspace.
  2. Select a semantic model:

• Choose the relevant semantic model that you want to connect to.
    • Click Connect to establish a live connection to the selected semantic model.
    • Power BI Desktop will load the semantic model fields and their values in real time.
  3. Now, you and others can create and share custom reports based on the same semantic model. This approach ensures consistency and makes it easier to collaborate on reports and dashboards acros...1.

Remember that this method allows you to create multiple reports in .pbix files from the same semantic model and save them to different workspaces. Itโ€™s a great way to work with shared data models efficiently! ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ“Š

If you need further assistance or have any other questions, feel free to ask! ๐Ÿš€

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @madhumitha, Thank you for reaching out to our community! We're here to help you.

To ensure we provide you with the best support, could you please take a moment to review the response and choose the one that best answers your question? Your feedback not only helps us assist you better but also benefits other community members who may have similar questions in the future.

If you found the answer helpful, consider giving it a kudo. If the response fully addresses your question, please mark it as the accepted solution. This will help us close the thread and ensure your question is resolved.

We appreciate your participation and are here to assist you further if you need it!

madhumitha
New Contributor II

Hello, thank you for your help!

I think you might have misunderstood my question๐Ÿ˜…I am looking to read the semantic model data from the power bi service directly to databricks. Or from my workspace, I want to read the data directly to databricks where I can perform some data query. Thanks!

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!