Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Container Service Docker images fail when a pip package is installed

JohanS
New Contributor III

I'm building my own Docker images to use for a cluster. The problem is that the only image I seem to be able to run is the official base image "databricksruntime/python:13.3-LTS". If I install a pip package, I get the following on standard error:

/databricks/spark/scripts/setup_driver_env.sh: line 43: R: command not found
ANTLR Tool version 4.8 used for code generation does not match the current runtime version 4.9.3
ANTLR Tool version 4.8 used for code generation does not match the current runtime version 4.9.3
Thu Mar 21 08:01:25 2024 Connection to spark from PID 1270
Thu Mar 21 08:01:25 2024 Initialized gateway on port 44991
Thu Mar 21 08:01:26 2024 Connected to spark.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/databricks/python_shell/scripts/db_ipykernel_launcher.py", line 86, in <module>
app.shell.run_line_magic("matplotlib", "inline")
File "/databricks/python/lib/python3.10/site-packages/IPython/core/interactiveshell.py", line 2480, in run_line_magic
result = fn(*args, **kwargs)
File "/databricks/python/lib/python3.10/site-packages/IPython/core/magics/pylab.py", line 99, in matplotlib
gui, backend = self.shell.enable_matplotlib(args.gui.lower() if isinstance(args.gui, str) else args.gui)
File "/databricks/python/lib/python3.10/site-packages/IPython/core/interactiveshell.py", line 3658, in enable_matplotlib
gui, backend = pt.find_gui_and_backend(gui, self.pylab_gui_select)
File "/databricks/python/lib/python3.10/site-packages/IPython/core/pylabtools.py", line 320, in find_gui_and_backend
import matplotlib
File "/databricks/python/lib/python3.10/site-packages/matplotlib/__init__.py", line 161, in <module>
from . import _api, _version, cbook, _docstring, rcsetup
File "/databricks/python/lib/python3.10/site-packages/matplotlib/cbook/__init__.py", line 32, in <module>
from matplotlib._api.deprecation import (
ImportError: cannot import name 'mplDeprecation' from 'matplotlib._api.deprecation' (/databricks/python/lib/python3.10/site-packages/matplotlib/_api/deprecation.py)

This is my pretty minimal Dockerfile, and without the last line it works fine.

# syntax = docker/dockerfile:1.2
FROM databricksruntime/python:13.3-LTS
COPY my_code /my_code
RUN --mount=type=secret,id=pip_conf,dst=/root/.pip/pip.conf /databricks/python3/bin/pip install --ignore-installed my-package[extras]==1.2.3
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JohanS
New Contributor III

I found the culprit: --ignore-installed upgraded matplotlib too much, and broke it.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

JohanS
New Contributor III

I found the culprit: --ignore-installed upgraded matplotlib too much, and broke it.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.