cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy Local file using a Shared Cluster

Kaizen
Contributor III

Hi, 

I am saving some files locally on my cluster and moving them after my job. These are log files of my process so I cant directly reference a DBFS location. 

However the dbutils.fs.cp command does not work on the shared cluster. This does however work on a individual cluster. I believe this is related to how the clusters are split amongst users.

File location: "/home/spark-daed4064-233f-446c-b9f2-5b/log.txt''

Copy command: 

import os 

#path gets set to /home/spark-daed4064-233f-446c-b9f2-5b/ 
path = os.getcwd() 

new_path = f"{path}/logs.txt" 

# output printed out -> /home/spark-4c17311c-654a-4c71-b551-2e/logs.txt 
print(new_path) 

dbutils.fs.cp(new_path, "dbfs:/databricks/scripts/logs.txt")

3 REPLIES 3

Kaizen
Contributor III

For reference when doing this on a single user (personal) cluster - the file is store in:

/databricks/driver/logs.txt

Which has no issue accessing and copying to dbfs after using the dbutil commands

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Kaizen , When using shared clusters, it's important to note that there are specific configurations that may affect the availability of dbutils.fs commands. If you come across the error message "INSUFFICIENT_PERMISSIONS," it usually means that your user account does not have the appropriate permissions to access the DBFS root location. It's best to consult your system administrator or cluster owner to ensure that your user account has the necessary permissions to access DBFS resources.

Kaizen
Contributor III

Hi @Kaniz - thanks for mentioning that. The issue is accessing the local file on the cluster not the dbfs location.

But it is still like you said a cluster config issue:
org.apache.spark.api.python.PythonSecurityException: Path 'file:/home/spark-c989284b-a795-4ca0-858e-84/logs.txt' uses an untrusted filesystem 'com.databricks.backend.daemon.driver.WorkspaceLocalFileSystem'

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.