cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Could not launch jobs due to node_type_id (instance) unavailability

Serhii
Contributor

I am running hourly job on a cluster using p3.2xlarge GPU instance, but sometimes cluster couldn't start due to instance unavailability. I wander is there is any fallback mechanism to, for example, try a different instance type if one is not available. Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

User16873043099
Contributor

Hello,

Instance type can never be changed to a different one if the defined type is unavailable in the AWS AZ.

Have you setup auto-AZ for this job? It will let databricks try a different availability zone within the same region if the instance_type is unavailable in one AZ.

Reference: https://docs.databricks.com/clusters/configure.html#automatic-availability-zones-auto-az

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you manage to solve your problem because I have the same problem. SurgeCardInfo Login

abagshaw
New Contributor III

(AWS only) For anyone experiencing capacity related cluster launch failures on non-GPU instance types, AWS Fleet instance types are now GA and available for clusters and instance pools. They help improve chance of successful cluster launch by allowing your cluster to use a mix of similar instance types. You can see more details here: https://docs.databricks.com/compute/aws-fleet-instances.html

Unfortunately fleet instance types don't support GPUs.

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!