cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Databricks JDBC Driver v2.6.29 Cloud Fetch failing for Windows Operating System

dng
New Contributor III

Hi everyone,

I've been stuck for the past two days on this issue with my Databricks JDBC driver and I'm hoping someone can give me more insight into how to troubleshoot. I am using the Databricks JDBC driver in RStudio and the connection was working fine until two days ago. There was a companywide Windows update and now cloud fetch is failing and I get the following error message:

Error in .jcall(rp, "I", "fetch", stride, block) : 

java.sql.SQLException: [Simba][SparkJDBCDriver](500638) The file <blob URL> has not been downloaded successfully and the driver will not retry due to exceeding of the max retry limit 10, you can increase the max retry limit by setting MaxConsecutiveResultFileDownloadRetries.

The driver however is still working with small datasets <1MB. Has anyone ever encountered this issue and how would I fix it? Thank you in advance for your help.

Kind Regards,

Debbie

8 REPLIES 8

karthik_p
Esteemed Contributor

@Debbie Ng​ can you try to download 2.6.32 and test please

dng
New Contributor III

@karthik p​ Where is v2.6.32 available? The Databricks JDBC Driver page only has v2.6.29 as the latest driver. Thank you for your help!

karthik_p
Esteemed Contributor

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Debbie Ng​, We haven’t heard from you since the last response from @karthik p​​​, and I was checking back to see if their suggestions helped you.

Or else, If you have any solution, please share it with the community, as it can be helpful to others.

Also, Please don't forget to click on the "Select As Best" button whenever the information provided helps resolve your question.

dng
New Contributor III

@karthik p​ No, unfortunately the same issue still occurs with the updated version.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @dng , The error you're encountering suggests that the poppler-utils package is not being installed correctly at the system level during the initialization of your cluster. 

Here are the steps you should follow:

1. Create a bash script that installs poppler-utils. The script should include the following command: sudo apt-get -f -y install poppler-utils.

2. Save this script to DBFS or another accessible location.

3. When you create your cluster or edit an existing cluster, expand the **Advanced Options** section and click the **Init Scripts** tab.

4. Specify the location of your bash script in the **Init Scripts** field.

5. Confirm the changes and start the cluster. The cluster will execute the init script on startup, installing the poppler-utils package at the system level before the Spark driver or worker JVM starts. If you're still encountering issues after following these steps, it may be worth checking whether the poppler-utils package requires any specific environment variables to be set. If it does, you can also set these within your init script.

Prabakar
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

@Debbie Ng​ From your message I see there was a windows update and this failure started. based on the conversation you tried latest version of the driver and still you face the problem. I believe this is something related to the Java version compatibility with the latest update.

rossd_42
New Contributor II

I have this issue today when I was given a new Oracle Linux VM.

I have an existing VM which works 100% but the new VM does not.

Driver version is the same on both VM'**bleep** and Java version is the same.

Python code that is running the query is the same.

openjdk version "1.8.0_382"

OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_382-b05)

OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.382-b05, mixed mode)

Driver 2.6.27

Also tried 2.6.25, 29, 32 and 33 - same result

I need help with this please ASAP to meet an urgent business need.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.