cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Databricks Python Import Bug

alvaro_databric
New Contributor III

Hello,

I am reaching to the community in order to shed some light into a Bug I have been encountering recently. The two setups are as follows:

SETUP-1 (WORKS):

• Python Notebook in Workspace FileSystem (this is Shared/folder/...)
  • Python custom wheel library in .whl installed into the cluster

SETUP-2 (DOES NOT WORK)

• Python Notebook in Repos
  • Same wheel and cluster as SETUP-1

Moreover SETUP-2 is able to improt some of the functions but not all of them. At first I thought it was an issue with the Wheel generation, but SETUP-1 works just fine and is able to improt everything.

This issue makes me think that there might be a difference into how Databricks manages filesystem or any other variables in Repos that I am not grasping.

Can someone indicate me what could be the issue here or any important difference when working with databricks Repos?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

alvaro_databric
New Contributor III

Solution has comed with an update, as stated in Work with Python and R modules | Databricks on AWSIn Databricks Runtime 13.0 and above, directories added to the Python sys.path are automatically distributed to all executors in the cluster. In Databricks Runtime 12.2 LTS and below, libraries added to the sys.path must be explicitly installed on executors.

This seems to have solved our strange import problem from Databricks Repos

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Debayan
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

How can I run non-Databricks notebook files in a repo?

For example, a .py file?

You can use any of the following:

You can refer to: https://docs.databricks.com/repos/limits.html and https://docs.databricks.com/repos/limits.html#non-notebook-files-files-in-repos

Also, refer to the errors: https://docs.databricks.com/repos/errors-troubleshooting.html

Please let us know if this helps and let us know the errors. Also, please tag @Debayan​ with your next comment so that I will get notified. Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Alvaro Moure​ 

Hope all is well! Just wanted to check in if you were able to resolve your issue and would you be happy to share the solution or mark an answer as best? Else please let us know if you need more help. 

We'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!

alvaro_databric
New Contributor III

Solution has comed with an update, as stated in Work with Python and R modules | Databricks on AWSIn Databricks Runtime 13.0 and above, directories added to the Python sys.path are automatically distributed to all executors in the cluster. In Databricks Runtime 12.2 LTS and below, libraries added to the sys.path must be explicitly installed on executors.

This seems to have solved our strange import problem from Databricks Repos

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.