Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default Catalog Name setting doesn't work

ThomasVanBilsen
New Contributor III

I've recently started using Unity Catalog and I'm trying to set the default catalog name to something else than the hive_metastore for some of my workspaces.

According to the documentation (Update an assignment | Metastores API | REST API reference | Azure Databricks) the default catalog can be changed for a workspace by using the REST API. 

I've tried this; but so far unsuccessfully. After running the "Update an assignment" request the value seems to be changed successfully, as you can see in the screenshot below.

ThomasVanBilsen_0-1691046243104.png

Yet when I execute a query from a notebook within this workspace it still seems to refer to the hive_metastore when I don't specify the catalog name. 

ThomasVanBilsen_1-1691048305156.png

Any ideas on what could be causing this are more than welcome! 

2 REPLIES 2

youssefmrini
Honored Contributor III
Honored Contributor III

I would recommend to use the Spark conf at a cluster level to change the default Catalog.  For the rest API i believe it works only for SQL Warehouse.

saldroubi
New Contributor II

I found that setting the default catalog in the workspace "Admin Settings" works for Sql warehouse, spark cluster and compute polices. 

Consult this documentation : https://docs.databricks.com/en/data-governance/unity-catalog/create-catalogs.html#view-the-current-d...

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.